Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Porcupine Meatballs

I don't remember eating many meatballs as a kid.  But my husband used to eat porcupine meatballs that his mom made all the time.  I recently stumbled on a recipe and he said he had his mom's recipe.  So we made it last night. It was simple to make and the flavors were mild.  Best part is that there is no dairy or egg. Our little girl loved it.  I think she liked the name best of all (she does like the porcupine at the zoo).


Porcupine Meatballs


Meatballs
1 lb ground beef (uncooked)
1/2 c uncooked rice (I used Minute Rice)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper

Sauce
15 oz can tomato sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1. Mix beef, rice, water, onion and seasonings together.  Shape into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.
2. Place in small casserole dish or 8 x8 pan.
3. Mix sauce ingredients together.
4. Pour sauce over meatballs.
5. Bake covered for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
6. Uncover, turn meatballs (so rice cooks) and bake for 15 minutes or rice is finished.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this- I have been wanting an egg and dairy-free meatball recipe for my little girl- cannot wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You got my attention - I thought "porcupine meat?"...wow! Goes to show you my brain is in a fog. But I guess there are so many different meats out there - bison, wapiti, goat - why not porcupine? Although, aren't they in the rodent family? Ick. Glad to see this recipe is with beef and it sounds yummy.

    My 3-year-old son had severe eczema until he was diagnosed with food allergies a few months back. I have a blog that shares our family’s battles with eczema, allergies, and asthma (yes, lucky guy has that too).

    I think the key is to learn from one another, so the more information out there to the masses, the better. With this in mind I’ve started a blog hop for anyone dealing with allergies, eczema, or asthma, either for themselves or as a caregiver. If you’re interested in joining, please add a comment. I’d love to welcome you to the group. http://itchylittleworld.wordpress.com/blog-hop/


    Thanks.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails