I don't remember eating many meatballs as a kid. But my husband used to eat porcupine meatballs that his mom made all the time. I recently stumbled on a recipe and he said he had his mom's recipe. So we made it last night. It was simple to make and the flavors were mild. Best part is that there is no dairy or egg. Our little girl loved it. I think she liked the name best of all (she does like the porcupine at the zoo).
1 lb ground beef (uncooked)
1/2 c uncooked rice (I used Minute Rice)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
15 oz can tomato sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Mix beef, rice, water, onion and seasonings together. Shape into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.
2. Place in small casserole dish or 8 x8 pan.
3. Mix sauce ingredients together.
4. Pour sauce over meatballs.
5. Bake covered for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
6. Uncover, turn meatballs (so rice cooks) and bake for 15 minutes or rice is finished.
A little update
3 years ago