Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dairy-Free Frosting (for cake decorating) **UPDATED**

**I have updated this post a little with a photo and link to the cake recipe I used that is dairy-free, egg-free and peanut-free.  I noticed this post got a lot of hits, so I wanted to make it more resourceful.  Recipe is the same.**

Okay, so I found the frosting.  I've made two batches since finding it. It's very easy to make and tastes good -- even to us egg/dairy eaters.  This is a awesome frosting recipe!





Dairy-Free Frosting (from The Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book)
1 cup dairy-free margarine (I used Earth's Best at room temp.)
2 Tbsp soy milk ( I used Silk Vanilla Soy Milk)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups confectioners' sugar

1. In a stand mixer or hand held mixer cream margarine, soy milk, vanilla, and salt until really mixed well. 
2. Slowly add confectioners' sugar and mix for 1 minute on low.
3. Mix on medium speed for 4 to 6 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
4. Chill for 30 minutes before using.


**Note:  When I frosted the cake I had to work quickly because the margarine softened.  I just frosted some and then froze it for a little while.  Then I worked on it some more. **


Check out the dairy-free, egg-free, peanut-free cake recipe here!

10 comments:

  1. Looks tasty - thanks for sharing! It's great to get a recommendation for dairy free frosting... many I have tried don't taste all that great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't found a chocolate cake i found that making a normal chocolate cake and just swapping the butter for dairy free marg works fine especially if doing choc cake that just needs cocoa powder.gonna try your frosting as thts where i struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute cake! I stumbled across your blog and I'm also a fan of the food allergy mama:) I've tried this recipe and didn't care for how quickly it melts. If in the future you want to try a different frosting recipe try the Best White Icing Ever on allrecipes.com. You can change the consistency depending on your decorating and is very tasty. I use regular vanilla since the clear by wilton has allergy warnings and I also add about a 1/4 tsp of salt so that it's not so sweet. Everyone who has tried it has liked it which is important when baking allergy friendly:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it sweet or creamy tasting!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can the cake be refrigerated once its iced? Im using a dairy free custard filling and the cake needs to be in the fridge until serving. Thanks,Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you can refrigerate it. Works great and tastes great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son is allergic to soy in addition to the dairy and tree nuts, so that means we can't use earthbalance margarine and soy milk. I have created frosting with marshmallow creme and coconut milk. Coconut milk also works well for baking because it makes up for the fats rice milk doesn't have. I also use tahini in cookie recipes and sometimes avocado or soy free mayo to replace fats to get nice texture and flavor. Palm oil and coconut oil are good substitutes as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earth balance makes a Soy free product now.

      Delete
  8. soy free from earth balance has pea protein . if the child is very sensitive to soy they may react to the pea also for it is part of the legume family soy is in. I find it to be very difficult for my son is allergic to the whole legume family, soy, peanut, and peas. still learning his allergy . my advice read the ingredients some soy fee products are still processed or packaged with soy products, Uggg.... now they are not soy free. Read the labels folks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replacing half of the Earth Balance with Spectrum's Organic All Vegetable Shortening doesn't compromise taste and makes the frosting more stable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails