Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Birthday Doll Cake -- Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Peanut-Free

I've been just waiting and waiting to post this awesome doll cake that I made of our daughter's birthday.  I've been extra busy this week, so sorry for the delay.  Our daughter just turned 3 this week, so the cake had to be extra special.  But it also had to be free of allergens -- dairy, nut, peanut, and egg.  Oh boy what a challenge it was!  I made several cakes and tried several frostings.  On top of that I had no idea how to decorate a cake to begin with.  Talk about a learning curve.





Dairy-free, Egg-free, Peanut-Free Cake Recipe
Adapted from Divvies Chocolate Cupcakes.  I used it as a cake recipe.  I made two cakes in a Pampered Chef bowl.  See links below for tutorials on how to make doll cake.  



  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey's dark cocoa)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 Tbsp vegetable oil (Crisco)
  • 1 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups water
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. Grease cake pan or bowl.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
4.  Mix together oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water until well combined.  I used my KitchenAid mixer.
5.  Add Flour mixture to wet mixture.  This will be a very wet batter.
6.  Pour into cake pan.  If making cupcakes or cake bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done in center.  If using Pampered Chef bowl bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.







Frosting Recipe:  I tripled the recipe.  Note when I was decorating the doll,  I had to move very quickly.  The frosting started to melt as it warmed up.  I did some decorating then stuck it in the freezer.   Then after 20 minutes did some more decorating. The cake then stayed in the freezer until serving.  Tasted great cold.  My niece said it tasted like ice cream cake.


Tip:  I made the cake ahead of time and frosted the "dress."  I then kept it in the refrigerator until the day of the party.  That's when I decorated the doll and put in freezer as noted above.


Tutorials to make doll cake

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails