Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tastes like Benadryl

Oh my!

Having a child allergic to milk has had me evaluate foods to give her.  I didn't give her fruit snacks until she was almost 2-year-old. She ate smarties candy for the first time this Halloween.   She just tried dairy-free ice cream a couple weeks ago.  Because we have had to eliminate a food group, it just didn't make sense to introduce too many sweets.  Plus there are so many cross contaminants that I worry if allergens aren't listed on the label.  I prefer to make cookies and muffins for sweets.  Not to mention toddlers go through those picky phases, so whatever nutrition you can get in them is really important.

My 2 1/2-year-old daughter was given some suckers as a gift for Christmas.  Today she ate almost all her food for lunch (lunch tends to be the meal she eats the least amount).  So, I decided to give her one of the suckers.  She picked the cherry flavored one (not that she knew what she was picking). She ate it making her "yum" sounds.  As she was finishing it she proudly proclaimed that  "It tastes like Benadryl."  All I could do was laugh.  She hasn't even had a drop of Benadryl for months.  Out of the mouth of a child with food allergies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails