Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Calling all Moms with School-Age Children with Food Allergies

I have decided that it is time for me to go back to work.  I'm so excited.  I accepted a position at an Early Head Start center (read more here).  But this means our daughter is going to have expand from our "food" safe bubble. She's going to be going to a preschool daily.  I'm not so worried about her having a reaction or the teachers not knowing how to handle a reaction.  I think just the overall idea that I have to trust someone else to keep her safe is the challenge.

I think we are going to bring lunches and snacks from home in the beginning until I can go through and read labels.  Any suggestions or links would be really helpful. So far I have a pretty good list of foods and snacks, but am open to more ideas.  Also, any tips or resources to give to the staff that you have found useful would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

2 comments:

  1. Does she currently wear a medical ID bracelet?
    We've always ordered from this company
    http://www.oneida-medical-jewelry.com/children.html
    and I think they are the most reasonable with their children's stainless steel medical ID bracelets being excellent quality and longlasting. We order the Stainless "JR" Child Bracelet for 19.95. You can have it engraved on BOTH sides. Hope this helps someone else.
    Mom of three Allergy boys 13, 11, 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son's in 2nd grade now, so our routine is well established. Here's what I've learned:

    1. Always supply your child's food or read the label yourself. Don't put the staff in the position of having to evaluate a label for you.

    2. Pay as much attention to where your child is eating as to what she is putting in her mouth. If the table isn't clean or the kid next to her knocks over a milk carton, you've got a contact reaction to deal with.

    3. Lobby hard for hand washing, both kids and adults, upon entering your daughter's room. If the table where the kids eat is also in the room, you also need to make sure that the danger zone on/around the table is immediately washed up.

    4. Make it easy. Be the happy supplier of any snacks/wipe/etc. the class could possibly need.

    5. Get it in writing. This is a huge help to the staff, so that they know exactly what to do to keep your child safe.

    6. Have a stash at the school. When my son was in PreK, they had a few homemade calzones in the freezer in case my son's lunch was compromised, plus a cupcake/cookie or two in there for when someone else brought unexpected treats so my son wouldn't be left out.

    7. Be appreciative. Thank you notes, goodies for the staff, etc., go a long way.

    Whew! Guess I got a little carried away! Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails