I was really excited when I found this recipe in an old cookbook. The original recipe calls for butter, but I substitute dairy-free margarine. There are only five ingredients. The dough isn't very sticky. You can roll it out right away and you don't need much flour. I was extra excited about it being egg-free, which meant our 3-year-old could roll out the dough and help with the cookie cutters. Overall, the taste is okay, but with frosting -- yummy!!
Chocolate Shortbread Cutout Cookies
(Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free)
1 cup dairy-free margarine (I use Earth's Balance)
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cup flour
1. Mix margarine, powdered sugar and vanilla together.
2. Add cocoa.
3. Then add flour. Mix until smooth.
4. Roll out dough -- don't need much flour.
5. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 300 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Watch them carefully because they are so dark, it's hard to see if they are burnt.
Super easy and fun to make with the food allergic child!!
A little update
9 years ago