Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Friday, April 23, 2010

It tastes really good!

That's all my daughter could say today during lunch.  I found this recipe a while ago and have been working to perfect it.  I must have done it today.  She's liked it before, but today there were all sorts of happy sounds as she ate.  I adapted this recipe from the Go Dairy Free cookbook (if you haven't read it yet, you must).

Dairy-Free Macaroni and Cheese
(this makes 1 cup)

1 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes (I found them at a health food store -- a little pricey but so worth it)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp powdered mustard
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp dairy-free butter (I used Earth's Best)
1/4 cup rice milk (you can substitute soy if you like)
cooked pasta

1. Mix water, nutritional yeast flakes, cornstarch, mustard and salt in blender for 30 seconds.
2. Melt dairy-free butter in sauce pan.
3. Add blended mixture to melted butter.  Keep on low to medium-low and whisk for 3 to 5 minutes.  It will thicken some.
4. Slowly stir in rice milk.  Stir until it thickens to consistency you want.
5. Add to pasta.

**I make just a small serving for my daughter of pasta and save the rest of the sauce for additional meals.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails