Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My food allergies- update

I have previously posted about my food allergies.  To summarize, I am allergic to all things living and can't eat raw fruits and vegetables, which is called Oral Allergy Syndrome.  I can eat raw foods but I normally have a minor sore throat.  Recently, I had a reaction to shellfish.  This really worried me that I might have an allergy to it.  I decided that it was best that I see an allergist.  I haven't visited an allergist in almost 15 years.  They try to help, but I tend to know about what to do than they do.  I figured maybe there has been some new treatment or research that would help me.  



I didn't really get the help from the doctor that I had hoped for.  Long story short, two blood tests and a skin test later I found out that I am not allergic to shellfish, but also found out I have a peanut allergy and a couple other tree nut allergies.  The peanut allergy is a total shock to me. I eat peanut butter granola bars almost every day and eat peanut butter on a regular basis.  I can't think of ever having a reaction.  The nurse told me that if I can eat it then I'm "one of the lucky few."  Confused.  I decided it was best to eliminate peanut from my diet and reintroduce it in a few weeks.  During this process I got some blood test results and asked the nurse how long the peanut protein stays in the system.  She asked the doctor and he said if I didn't notice a change after not eating the peanuts that I can eat it again.  Well, that was not an answer.  It was almost like the doctor didn't even care.  I explained that I have so many reactions daily that it really would be hard to know if I had a mild reaction to peanuts.  By daily reactions I mean sneezing, minor throat irritations, etc.  I just live with it without really noticing much anymore.  The nurse understood my logic, but didn't really have any further advice.

I am going to see a dietician in June and hope to have a plan of action in place by then.  I'm going to slowly try different fruits and vegetables to see what really bothers me a lot and what I might be able to tolerate in small doses.  As for the nuts, I think I'm going to stay away from all except nuts I am not allergic to that are packaged in a plant that doesn't cross contaminate.  Boy oh Boy, it would just be nice to eat...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails