Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Birthday Cake

I am making a special cake for my daughter's 2-year-old party. We can't just go and pick out a cake at the store because odds are there will be milk and egg in it and I don't know how much. So, I tried a homemade cake as a test because it didn't have much milk or egg in it. She can tolerate milk and egg in baked goods, but whenever I try something new I still watch for a reaction. This cake was too moist for the decorating I want to do. When I gave it to her to try, my toddler said "no." No to cake -- come on. But that is the toddler way.

So, I decided to make a box cake because it really doesn't have that much more milk or egg in it; and odds are she might not touch it at all. Also, part of this decorated cake has cupcakes, and I think I might use a different recipe for the cupcakes (or even make muffins that I know she's okay with) and give her one of those instead of the cake. I bought Pillsbury frosting and don't see any milk products listed in it. I made frosting last year, but it took so long to make. I think it will be okay. I will update this (with photos) early next week. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Duncan Hines cake mixes (not the white cake or confetti cakes) are dairy free as are their classic vanilla and chocolate frostings.

    I haven't tried a full cake but I make cupcakes using this mix and I replace the eggs with applesauce (1/3 cup sauce = 1 egg). Beat the mix longer with a mixer than it calls for and it adds much more fluffiness to the cake -- otherwise it's too dense and crumbles.

    Cherrybrook Kitchen also makes dairy free/egg free mixes that I have yet to try.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, I wish I would have looked at my blog before I made the cake. I thought comments were linked to my e-mail and sent to me, but that's blogger for you.

    Thank you for the kind remarks about outgrowing the allergy and for the cake suggestion. I will try Duncan Hines next time. Thanks for reading and commenting. I'll be sure to check more often for comments -- I didn't even know I had readers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails