Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

In search of...

A dairy-free whipped topping.  For the last two years our daughter has had no problem eating the "regular" Cool Whip.  I gave her a spoon to lick the day before her birthday and she was a big old rashy mess.  I looked at the container and sure enough it said it was "now creamier."  Now that pumpkin pie season is around the corner we need to find a whipped topping that is safe.  To be continued...

If you have any good alternative suggestions, I would love to hear them.

PS Sorry for being absent from posting lately.  I started a new job (a different one than a couple months ago) and I am focusing on family when at home.  I hope to get back to regular blogging soon.  I have so much to share with all of you.

4 comments:

  1. When I want a whip cream fix, I buy Soyatoo. It comes in a spray can. I've found it in the organic refrigerated section at Wegmans. It also comes in a carton as a liquid "cream" that you can then whip. I haven't seen the carton version in a long time though.

    If your daughter has tolerated Cool Whip in the past, she might be able to tolerate some of the store brand versions of spray can RediWhip (RediWhip itself contains real cream). All of the canned whipped "creams" I have seen contain sodium caseinate (from milk). Cool Whip has always contained sodium caseinate, but they recently started adding skim milk and real cream to their products as well. If she could tolerate the sodium caseinate before, you might be able to find a canned version with just that ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to find a dairy/ egg free whipped topping ready-made that is safe. And all attempts at such recipes have failed as well.

    I now made homemade soy ice cream as a side for pies. Much taster & I know that it will be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking for recipes for my 13 month old who can't have dairy yet and I came across your blog. If she can have soy then try to find a store that has a large variety of kosher food (this may be difficult depending on where you live). If you can, look for a tub like cool whip in the kosher freezer section called smackin' good. That is a dairy free ready made dessert topping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soyatoo is probably the best option, but they also have Rice Whip for a soy-free option.

    I have two recipes in my book (Go Dairy Free) for coconut whipped cream that is pretty darn yummy, though obviously slightly different in flavor from Cool Whip. I'm working on another recipe now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails