Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Recipe -- Dairy-Free Macaroni and Cheese

Okay, so now that my daughter has been going to a drop-in daycare (where there is no real food) she is learning all sorts of new things.  Of course there is dramatic play in a play kitchen where they serve pretend pizza and macaroni and cheese.  We have a good pizza option, in fact she eats it all gone.  But for mac and cheese I just haven't found a good prepackaged one and using vegan gourmet cheese usually gets wasted because it gets moldy so quickly.  I searched the Internet and couldn't come up with anything that wouldn't require a trip to Whole Foods.  So the other day, I was thinking about parmesan cheese and came up with this idea.  Now, I don't know if it tastes good to those who eat dairy-free food, but I do know that my daughter ate a good portion tonight.  That means it has to taste pretty good if she's going to actually eat it.  Here's what I did and I linked all the products that I used.  I use these products regularly so I feel this recipe is a good option for us.  If you have a good mac and cheese recipe to share, feel free to post in the comments.

Dairy-Free Macaroni and Cheese
(This serving size is small and makes about 1 cup cooked)

2 Tbsp dairy-free butter (I used Earth's Balance because I like how it melts)
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup original rice milk (I buy the individual 8 oz containers that can be stored in pantry)
2 Tbsp Vegan grated topping (I also use this on top of toast and abc spaghetti)
1/2 cup macaroni
1 cup vegetable stock (optional)

1. Melt butter on medium in saucepan.
2. Add flour and salt.
3. Slowly add milk. Bring to boil.  Stir constantly.
4. When sauce thickens reduce heat to low.
5. Stir in vegan grated topping.
6. Boil macaroni for 8 minutes in vegetable stock or water.
7. Mix macaroni and sauce together.

**I added a couple tablespoons of the vegetable stock to the sauce after the macaroni was cooked.  This is optional.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails