Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bless You --Seasonal Allergies

It seems my little toddler has inherited my seasonal allergies (my husband is pretty sneezy, too these days).  We were at the doctor yesterday and he confirmed what I suspected.  

As a life-long sufferer, I wanted to share some tips that give a little relief for me. 

1.   STAY INSIDE. If you or you child are really bad.  I mean runny nose, watery eyes, can't breathe well, and just feel completely exhausted. Staying inside  is the only way to keep the pollen out of your hair, skin, clothes and of course your nose.  What happens when you go outside is that you bring everything that is in the air inside.  So unless you hose down after you come inside (See 2.), you best just stay inside.

2. SHOWER OR TAKE BATH before going to bed.  If you do go outside, be sure to rinse off before going to bed.  This will help keep the pollen off your pillow, blankets and sheets.  Just think if you didn't do this you are sleeping in what is making you miserable.

3.  KEEP WINDOWS SHUT.  As hard as that is, it's the best way to keep it out of the house.

4. MEDICINE.  Discuss with a doctor what will work best for you.  I have used the same medicine for about 10 years and it's been the best I've used.  For kid's under 2, be sure you talk to a doctor before starting anything.  Most allergy medicines have a drowsy effect, and those tend to be the best for you to fight the allergies.

5. KEEP A JOURNAL.  I decided to keep a journal of when plants are blooming and what I see happening when we are really bad.  I noticed the lilacs bloomed a day or two ago. That might just be the culprit.  Keeping a journal will help me keep track of when my daughter is having difficulty and give me a pattern to discuss with a doctor.  

6. DON'T HANG LAUNDRY OUTSIDE.  Again you're bring allergens inside if you do this.  The key is to keep outside outside during really sensitive times.

7.  WATCH FOR OTHER ALLERGIES TO APPEAR.  Along with my seasonal allergies, I have food allergies to raw fruits and vegetables.  The reaction I get is a sore throat.  It's like a big uncomfortable lump in my throat.  It's not life threatening, but makes eating those foods nearly impossible.  The reaction can last from a half hour to a few hours.   This allergy is connected to the way the fruit is pollinated.  This is not very common, but if you have a child already susceptible to allergies (such as a food allergy or seasonal allergies), it's important to listen to other problems they have.  It's hard when they aren't able to communicate it, but as they get older be sure to listen.

8. KNOW YOUR CHILD'S OR YOUR SYMPTOMS.  When I was in high school, I began to know the difference between a cold and seasonal allergies.  I think it's a little different for everyone, but understanding the difference will help you treat the right problem.  Treating allergies with cold medicine doesn't work for me.  But an allergy pill taken daily will help.  Again check with a doctor for treatment.  

9. WASH JACKETS OR SWEATSHIRTS OFTEN.  Again this will help cut down on allergy attacks if you aren't wearing the pollen on your sleeve.  

10. STOCK UP ON KLEENEX AND VASELINE.  We go through so many tissues during allergy season that I stock up months before.  I always have a few extra boxes stashed away.  And I keep a box (or two) in every room.  Some people only have tissues in the bathroom.  I just wonder how they can survive...then I remember that most people don't sneeze as much as I do.  Vaseline is the best to put under the nose as the tissues rough up the nose.  Too bad you end up rubbing it off as quickly as you put it on.  It still helps.

Be sure to contact a doctor if you or you children have allergy symptoms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails