Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Positive test -- chocolate pudding

Last week I was optimistic about our daughter slowly outgrowing her milk allergy.  She's been tolerating more and more cooked meals with milk.  So, I decided to make milk-based Jell-O pudding.  I was hopeful that the milk was boiled long enough and it would changed the milk protein enough for her to enjoy it without a reaction.  I was wrong.  I gave her less than 1/4 cup of pudding.  She started coughing, but that's kinda normal when she eats.  Drives me crazy because I never know if it's a food allergy or just her swallowing wrong or just plain coughing.  Anyway, it got really bad.  She was gasping along with breaking out in hives.  I quickly grabbed the Benadryl (not the kind that was recalled), and she sucked it down.  She was fine within a few minutes.  It was too bad that she couldn't tolerate it.  I think that was the worst reaction I've seen.  Normally, it's just hives.  But she did consume more than in a normal test.

Reminder:  Do not do food challenges at home unless advised by a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails