Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dairy-Free Breaded Fish

dI really hate those pre-package fish sticks or chicken nuggets.  And as a mom who has to read every label, it's amazing how many products have milk in them.  And while I read to see if there is any milk, I read all these other ingredients that I can't even pronounce.  Thus why I make most of our food from scratch or near scratch.  It doesn't take that much time and it tastes so much better.

I made this recipe for breaded fish a while ago.  The recipe calls for parmesan cheese.  When I made a portion for my daughter, I omitted the parmesan cheese. It turned out that the breading was way too salty and needed something to ofset the salt. I found a Vegan Grated Topping (made by Galaxy Nutritional Foods) that I used instead.  It is soy-based and has a parmesan cheese flavor.  As for the butter, substituted Blue Bonnet Light.  

Herb Butter Fish -- Dairy-Free
2 white fish fillets (I've used tilapia and cod)
1/4 cup Blue Bonnet Light or dairy-free margarine
1/3 cup breadcrumbs (I use crushed saltines)
2 Tbsp Vegan Grated Topping
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt (or less if you use saltines)

1. Combine cracker crumbs, Vegan cheese, basil, oregano, salt and garlic powder.
2. Dip fish fillets in melted butter and then in crumb mixture.
3. Arrange fillets in baking pan.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until fish is tender and flakes with a fork.


**This would also be a great breading for chicken.**

**Sprinkle Vegan Grated Topping on toast for a tasty bread to go with spaghetti.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails