Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Biggest Challenge

I initially was challenged by trying to figure out how to make food that didn't contain milk, whey, cheese or any other milk-based product and still give my daughter a balanced diet.  I eventually figured it out and feel very good about the meals we eat.  

My biggest challenge now is explaining to other people that she can't have milk and all the food that has milk in them along with watching my daughter interact with other people and the anxiety I get hoping they don't have milk on their fingers.  Or worse she picks up a toy that has milk on it.  Okay, that sounds like three biggest challenges, but they all go hand-in-hand.  It is really hard to explain what she can and can't eat to other people.  I still won't order food at a restaurant for her.  I just don't trust that a knife to cut one thing might not have been used to cut butter or cheese.  I understand people who don't experience an allergy really don't know what the reaction is like or could lead to.  I also understand that unless you are forced to read labels, you really don't realize that everything has milk in it.  I would say more than 60 percent of the meals I make have a milk product in them.  So people give me recipes, I say, oh, my daughter can't have that. They are usually shocked and I have to explain again what the allergy is all about.  She also has an egg allergy, so that adds to my anxiety.  I sure do hope she outgrows it soon.  They say 90 percent of kids outgrow the milk allergy.  Until then we do our best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails