Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Recipe - Dairy-Free "Cheesy" Chicken Spaghetti

Last week I posted this recipe for dairy-free cheese sauce.  I made a dairy version of chicken tetrazzini and adapted this recipe for my dairy-free toddler.  I just took some of the ingredients from our main dish to make hers.  This recipe serves about four servings, but can easily be scaled down.

Dairy-Free "Cheesy" Chicken Spaghetti

1 to 2 cups spaghetti
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small zucchini, sliced thinly or grated
1 carrot, sliced thinly or grated
1 small onion, sliced thinly or chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup cooked chicken

Dairy-free "cheesy" sauce
(this can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for a couple days)


1 cup water
1/4 cup nutrtional yeast flakes
14 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 to 1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp dairy-free margarine
1/4 cup rice milk (or soy milk)

1. I used a vegetable peeler to thinly slice zucchini and carrot.
2. Heat oil.  Add vegetables and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Boil pasta for 8 minutes. Drain.
4. Add pasta  and cooked chicken to vegetables.

To make cheese sauce: 
1. Blend water, nutritional yeast flakes, cornstarch, mustard powder and salt in blender for 30 seconds.
2.  Melt dairy-free margarine in sauce pan
3. Add blended mixture to margarine.  Stir for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Slowly add rice milk to sauce pan.  Stir until thickens.
5. Add sauce to pasta and vegetables.  You may not have to use all the sauce -- use your discretion. Save extra sauce for a mac and cheese meal later in the week.  

3 comments:

  1. YUM! This sounds delish! Any idea how well it might freeze? I stock my sitter's freezer with quick heat & eat food for those times my daughter can't eat what the other kids are having. Your chicken & rice recipe froze beautifully in ice cube trays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am experimenting freezing the sauce right now -- I have some in the freezer and plan to use it next week. I'll post what I find out. As far as freezing noodle, I don't usually have too good of luck. They tend to get mushy -- by sometimes toddlers don't care about that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the "cheese" sauce recipe! I made my own version last week, and it was awful :( But you have used some ingredients I didn't. I'm going to try this again, and hopefully it will be better received. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails