Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Recipe -- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken

I made the dairy version of this last week and made a dairy-free version for my 2-year-old. I try to make as many of our meals look like hers if I can. Sometimes it's easier than other times. This one was easy to substitute.

Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
This recipe is for 4 servings. See my notes below to see how I made one serving for my daughter.

4 chicken breast, flattened
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 head broccoli, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 cup Mozarella flavored Vegan Gourmet cheese (cheddar flavor works, too)

Coating Mix
1 cup breadcrumbs (I used crushed saltines)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves

1 Tbsp dairy-free butter (I use either Blue Bonnet Light or Smart Balance Light)
1 tsp Vegan grated topping (parmesan cheese substitute)

1. Flatten chicken breast.
2. Heat broccoli and onion on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes until softened.
3. Add cheese to broccoli and onion. MIx and mash broccoli, onion and cheese.
4. Put a spoonful of broccoli mixture in center of each chicken breast. Roll up.
5. Mix breadcrumbs, garlic powder, basil and oregano together.
6. Place each stuffed chicken in breadcrumb mixture.
7. Place in baking dish.
8. Sprinkle with butter and Vegan grated topping.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.

** When I made this last week I made ours with real cheese, so in step 3 I separated our portion with my daughter's portion of broccoli and onion. And then added the appropriate cheese in each. I only stuffed one for her. I always bake hers in a separate dish, but at the same time -- just in case some butter or or cheese would cross over to hers.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails