I had this awesome taco salad at a function recently. I searched for a couple different recipes and adapted it to my own tastes (and what I had in my freezer). Turned out really tasty. While I haven't made the dairy-free version for our 3-year-old, here's what I plan to make.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle French dressing (I used Kraft Catalina)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (I used spinach)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) package tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded soy cheese
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons dairy-free sour cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and drain.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, beans and French-style dressing.
- Fill the dressing bottle 2/3 full of water and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Crush the bag of chips, open the bag, and toss the broken chips into a large bowl with the lettuce, cheese and tomatoes. When the meat mixture is done, combine it with the lettuce, tomatoes, chips and mix well. Then, add salsa and sour cream.
**Note this needs to be mixed together right before eating otherwise the chips get soggy. I actually made this as a lunch/snack for a couple days and just kept all ingredients separate until right before eating. Then I just added how much I wanted to eat for that meal. This would be very helpful if you are just making a small portion dairy-free. The recipe can easily be halved.**
Post a Comment