Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dairy-Free Taco Salad

I had this awesome taco salad at a function recently.  I searched for a couple different recipes and adapted it to my own tastes (and what I had in my freezer).  Turned out really tasty.  While I haven't made the dairy-free version for our 3-year-old, here's what I plan to make.

Taco Salad
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1  package taco seasoning mix
  • 2 cups black beans
  • 1 (16 ounce) bottle French dressing (I used Kraft Catalina)
  • 1 head iceberg lettuce (I used spinach)
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) package tortilla chips
  • 2 cups shredded soy cheese
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 4 tablespoons dairy-free sour cream (optional)
  • 1/2 cup prepared salsa (optional)

Directions

  1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and drain.
  2. Stir in the taco seasoning, beans and French-style dressing. 
  3. Fill the dressing bottle 2/3 full of water and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
  4. Crush the bag of chips, open the bag, and toss the broken chips into a large bowl with the lettuce, cheese and tomatoes. When the meat mixture is done, combine it with the lettuce, tomatoes, chips and mix well. Then, add salsa and sour cream.

**Note this needs to be mixed together right before eating otherwise the chips get soggy.  I actually made this as a lunch/snack for a couple days and just kept all ingredients separate until right before eating. Then I just added how much I wanted to eat for that meal.  This would be very helpful if you are just making a small portion dairy-free.  The recipe can easily be halved.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails