Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fried Tofu

Living in the Midwest, we tend to eat a lot of meat, potatoes and of course, dairy.  So, learning about alternative food sources has been really interesting.  I have found that keeping an open mind produces the best results.

Today's experiment: fried tofu.

We have eaten tofu before, but not with much success.  I have just chopped it up (cold) and served with a little soy sauce and ginger.  My daughter ate some, but not every time I served it.  Them I was stuck with all this tofu and didn't have a plan.  I've been reading cookbooks galore about dairy-free eating.  So I have plenty of tofu recipes in hand.  I also have been reading cookbooks that aren't dairy-free (a dairy-free recipe slips in here and there).  I recently read Make it Fast, Cook it Slow , by Stephanie O'Dea and found a great recipe for sweet and sour tofu.  I decided to de-construct it for the first introduction of it.  But after I tasted the sweet and sour sauce I bought from the store, I changed plans completely. Yuck!  I took her directions for frying the tofu and that was all.  I then served with BBQ sauce.  They tasted like chicken nuggets.  Yum and very, very easy!

Fried Tofu
1 inch cubes of tofu (as much or little as you want)
1 Tbsp dairy-free margarine (I used Earth's Balance)
1 Tbsp cornstarch (less if necessary)

1. Melt dairy-free margarine on medium heat.
2. Place tofu and cornstarch in plastic baggie.  Shake.
3. Shake off excess cornstarch and place tofu in butter.
4. Fry for 5 to 7 minutes.  Flip.
5. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes longer. They will be slightly browned.

**Serve with BBQ sauce, honey, sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, or your favorite sauce.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails