Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Frosting

This was the most delicious frosting for a cake that I've had in a long time.  My husband wanted carrot cake for his birthday cake.  My daughter helps me with baking and I knew she would want to eat his cake with us.  So, I tried to figure out a way to make a dairy-free cream cheese frosting that still would taste good.  Well, needless to say we all enjoyed it very much.  The carrot cake recipe, which I will include below does have egg, but has no dairy.  The cake was excellent, too.  Both recipes are for one small 9 inch cake.

Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
(recipe found here)

4 oz Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
1/4 cup dairy-free margarine (I use Earth's Balance)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp lemon juice (freezing lemon juice tip here)

1. Mix Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese and margarine together.  I use my KitchenAid mixer to get it mix well.
2. Add powdered sugar slowly.  Add vanilla and lemon juice.

**This would be great for cupcakes**


Carrot Cake Recipe (Dairy-Free, not egg free)
(recipe found here)

2 eggs
1/2 cup and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cup grated carrots

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9 inch round cake pan.
2.  Mix eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla in large bowl.
3. In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
4. Add flour mixture to egg mixture.
5. Fold in carrots.
6. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until down

**Double recipes for 13x 9 cake pan or two 9 inch cake pans**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails