Please read, before reading

I am saddened by the comments on this blog that often take a judgmental turn. The information is intended to be just that -- information. You need to make your own decisions for your life and be accountable for your actions. I debated closing the blog, but feel there are many valuable items listed for families struggling with food allergies, especially early on.

If you need further information please contact a doctor. If you need to verify a product's ingredients, please look at current labels and contact the company yourself. Note many posts are several years old. Use your best judgment and do not make up comments to scare people.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Trader Joe's

Well, well, well.  I have searched high and low and lower to find a granola bar that I like sans peanuts.  About a year ago I realized I had a reaction to peanuts and tested positive for a peanut allergy.  Several other tree nuts were positive, as well.  I used to love eating a granola bar for a quick on-the-go snack or even as a low calorie breakfast.  Well, guess what?  Many  Most granola bars are processed in facilities or on equipment with tree nuts and peanuts.  My 3-year-old loves Glutino breakfast bars and Enjoy Life Snack Bars, which are free of many allergens including wheat.  Well, I just like wheat and haven't been satisfied with the flavor for myself (plus the cost is pretty high -- almost a dollar a bar and that is with my savings tricks).

I've talked about going to Trader Joe's for almost two years, but just haven't found my way there.  It's only about a half hour away, but I always like to go in that direction when I have something else to do.  I finally found myself there a couple weeks ago.  Now,  just like every other store there are allergy-free products and products made in facilities with allergies or shared equipment with allergies.  I was disappointed as I picked up animal crackers and other items that weren't safe for my multi-food allergic child.  I finally arrived at the granola bar isle with a pretty empty cart.  I found not one, but two different types of granola bars that would be safe for me to eat (only one is safe for my daughter who has a milk allergy).  Okay, I thought -- I better like these.  I kinda felt like this is my last shot (I swear I've read every granola bar label out there).



The first granola bar I came across was these.  The disclaimer on the back says : "Our vendors follow good manufacturing practices to segregate ingredients to avoid cross contact with allergens. Made on equipment shared with milk, peanuts and tree nuts."   I read this several times in the store and wondered if I should trust that or not.  I decided to give them a try.

 The verdict:  Our daughter ate it, loved it, and no reactions.  Hooray!  These bars were about $2 for 12 bars (note: they come in two bars in a pack).  I didn't mind the taste of these at all.   Not my preferred taste, but I could eat and enjoy them.  No reaction for me, either.

I walked down the isle and saw these.  Oh, my god.  No way. Chocolate granola bars -- my absolute favorite idea for a granola bar.  I have big love of chocolate, which is hard to fulfill with a peanut allergy.  I read the label.  Same disclaimer:   "Our vendors follow good manufacturing practices to segregate ingredients to avoid cross contact with allergens. Made on equipment shared with milk, peanuts and tree nuts." A little skeptical still, I bought the bars.  The price was around $2 for 6.


The verdict:  I ate one the next day and absolutely loved every bite.  Yum.   Then I waited and waited for a reaction.  Nothing.  Could it be, my search is over?  A granola bar that met three criteria:  I like it, It's allergy-free for me, and cost effective.  I'm making another trip this weekend to Trader Joe's.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Trader Joe's! I have found many tasty foods for my food allergic kids (egg/milk and tree nuts/coconut/lemon/shellfish) and myself, since I am eliminating egg and milk for nursing.

    Try the brown sugar instant oatmeal, whole wheat pizza dough, pita crackers, and multigrain probiotic crackers. I also love that they carry Earth Balance Butter and soy ice cream and some cookies with soy and not butter/milk.

    For granola bars, my husband and many playgroup friends love the Sneaky Chef grab and go bars you can make easily at home: http://www.thesneakychef.com/free_recipe_granola_bar.php . They do contain powdered milk, but I have made them without it and with Enjoy Life chocolate chips and they are still good. I need to track down some powdered rice milk to keep the recipe similar, but they are quite a hit with everyone who eats them--except strangely my toddler.

    Nicka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicka for your suggestions. I think it's so important that we support each other. Hope you find something on my blog that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails